Thursday, December 29, 2011

Pack-y Snow and My Hot-Cocoa-For-A-Crowd Recipe

When winter arrives the children look forward to the pack-y snow.  You know?  The kind you can make snowmen, snow forts and snowballs with.  This year we have only had one of those so far.  But it was a good one!
I've never been one for getting out there in the snow with the children, but with 11 brothers and sisters, I think mom isn't too much needed.  I much prefer watching from the window and having the hot cocoa ready when they come in.

My all time favorite hot cocoa recipe feeds a crowd of children and parents.  
1 1/2 cups cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups sugar (I like to use Turbinado, but any high quality natural sugar works)
a few pinches of cinnamon
6 quarts milk (I like to use raw milk, but if you can't get that, definitely DO NOT use lowfat or skim)


1.   In a large pot over medium-low heat, whisk together the first 3 ingredients.  
2.   Pour in a little milk and whisk to make a paste.  
3.   Then slowly add the remaining milk, stirring until hot and smooth.  Do not let it boil.


I like to make this up and keep it on the stove.  When they all come in from outside, I turn the heat back on just to warm it up.


No comments:

Post a Comment